I changed my BadCoFiMo plan when I started trying to insert those JanNo/FebNo scenes from their standalone files into the main manuscript. Each day during JanNoWriMo, I wrote scenes from various parts of the novel and saved them in separate files to make sure I could count the words more easily and not mess up the main file. However, some difficulties ensued when I tried to put the scenes in their proper places in the novel. So I realized that I need a new strategy:
- Separate the chapters of the novel from the main file and put each chapter into a separate file, named in the order I find them in the main file.
- Separate each of the JanNo and FebNo files into the separate scenes, one file per scene.
- Organize (and, if necessary, reorganize) the files so that all the scenes are in their proper order.
- Take out the index cards I've already used and write ideas for the missing scenes on new blank ones.
- Map all the storylines and character arcs so that I have a better idea of those I've already written and how to write the unfinished and unwritten ones.
- Write all the remaining unwritten scenes and put them in their proper files (new ones if necessary) in the proper order.
- Organize the scenes and chapters again if necessary.
- Finally, put the whole thing back together, restoring the main file with all the original and new scenes in their new order.
I still plan to finish the first complete draft this month. I've simply gotten a late start on it, as I've gotten distracted by news and opinion websites, which can get addictive...