Thursday, March 29, 2012

NaNoEdMo 2012 Update: Into the Homestretch

During the middle of the month, my muse went "Ooh shiny!" all over the free-software download sites, so I hardly edited a thing. But in the last week of NaNoEdMo, I've more than made up for it. Spanner Chapters 1 through 3, the Intro, and Interludes 1, 2, and 7 are now in pretty much publishable shape.

Chapters 4 through 8 are proving tougher. Part of the reason is that I've been rearranging scenes in Chapters 6-8 so that now they no longer resemble their third-draft counterparts, and now Chapters 5 and 6 are trading scenes. Chapter 4 is getting many new scenes (I just deleted one and inserted another), and Chapter 5 now has a new climax (currently in outline). A few of Chapter 4's new scenes help the final scene give new meaning to the chapter title, "Special Delivery Service", including the one I wrote this morning in which Shira flies over the decaying (fictional) Bremerton suburb of Bangor at night and ends up saving Mimi (now introduced a chapter earlier than before) from a new character, the serial killing homeroom teacher who becomes the center of Chapter 5's new climax.

I'm going to finish Chapter 4 today. In fact, since right now I have 46 hours of editing under my belt, I might just win EdMo tonight. But my real goal is to complete the final draft up to Chapter 8. If I have to cut into my Script Frenzy to do that, so be it.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment