Sunday, December 2, 2012

NaNoWriMo 2012: The Final Result

This year's editing of NaNoWriMo turned out to be the most difficult yet, what with the Spanner Book 1 final edit trying to intrude on it at all times. I had nothing but Panic Time left. On the final day, I found myself 10,000 words behind.

I shocked myself. I wrote those 10,000 words in just 4 1/2 hours. And I pulled off the spectacular come-from-behind to win my 7th consecutive NaNoWriMo.

Now, the actual plot refused to come. I found myself writing notes, filler, and even futile pleadings to the muse. She was too busy squeeing over all those pretty girls with no names who had started stampeding into Spanner, you see. I found Chapters 12 and 13 becoming easy to edit due to that story idea, of course, but the muse wanted nothing to do with that NaNo novel I was trying to write at the same time. I suspect she might even have been sleeping with the Inner Editor by that point. And so I decided to write around her.

It worked. Even though not much story came through till the very end (the final scene of Cascadia Rising, the Spanner Side Story I finally settled on as my NaNo novel), I found myself able to "Kateness out" those last 10K words.

And now I'm a seven-time NaNoWriMo winner. I earned my champagne, chocolate, and weekend rest.

Now back to fondling my relieved and grateful muse and finishing that Spanner final edit...

No comments:

Post a Comment